IWVPA Club Theme Project
February 2007: CLIFFHANGER
noun: an episode that ends in suspense
noun: a contest whose outcome is uncertain up to the very end
- an adventure serial or melodrama; especially: one presented in installments each ending in suspense
- a contest whose outcome is in doubt up to the very end; broadly: a suspenseful situation
- a melodramatic adventure serial in which each installment ends in suspense in order to interest the reader or viewer in the next installment.
- a situation or contest of which the outcome is suspensefully uncertain up to the very last moment: The game was a cliff-hanger, but our team finally won.
[Origin: 1935–40, Americanism]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, ©Random House, Inc. 2006.
- A melodramatic serial in which each episode ends in suspense.
- A suspenseful situation occurring at the end of a chapter, scene, or episode.
- A contest so closely matched that the outcome is uncertain until the end.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language,
Fourth Edition: Copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company